Tuesday, March 10

A Royal Refutal...and FIT TIP (#8)

A royal refutal may be a bit strong...how about a simple clarification?
Yes, I like that better.
I will be refuting, I mean clarifying a statement I made in a past post.

I was doubting the reality of Reality TV **imagine that!
As a "newbie" (viewer) to The Biggest Loser,
I made the comment that this one (BL) was for real.

The weight loss is real, but...

As someone who has been involved in the fitness industry for almost 20 years, I feel the need to now add:

The weight loss is real, but not realistic.

It's not realistic (or healthy/safe) to lose 1+ pounds per day.
What is realistic? A pound (or less) per week.

It's not realistic (or healthy/safe) to exercise (almost) all day (and some nights) long.
What is realistic? Trying to squeeze in a workout (between family, career, and church obligations) 3-4 times a week.

It's not realistic to live in an environment surrounded only by healthy food choices.
What is realistic? Struggling daily to make wise food decisions at home and when socializing.

It's not realistic to expect a large, rapid weight loss to be enduring.
What is realistic? For pounds lost rapidly to (usually) reappear & multiply. **when they return, they bring reinforcements!

It's not realistic to have a personal trainer **pushing your dimply rear all over the "ranch" & cursing in your face and medical staff to assist in your efforts day in and day out.
What is realistic? Having to dig deep for personal motivation.

So, while I respect (most of) the participants for their dedication and determination, and wish all of them success in their continued fitness efforts...It's not reality.

**But this is...

FIT TIP (#9): Be Creative
Add a twist to your everyday tasks...upping the fitness factor in routine activities. For example:

--Eat with chopsticks instead of a fork. Eating slower helps you consume fewer calories per meal.
--Walk backwards to burn 10 calories for every 8 you would burn walking forward. **be careful! Make sure you have a clear path. I often have clients cool down from a workout by walking backwards on a treadmill...no hidden obstacles :)
--Perform squats while unloading the dishwasher. Great for the buns and thighs.
--Do toe raises while brushing your teeth. Feel the burn in your calves.

Use your imagination and get a "little extra" out of your daily duties.

Try this: next time you're at the grocery store, head for the Oriental food section and pick up a package of inexpensive (less than $2 for 10 sets of) chopsticks.

AND, totally off subject...how cute would these be on St. Patrick's Day?

4 comments:

The Navarro's said...

Ooo, good tips! I totally agree with your "clarification".

The Jessups said...

Great great great tips and truth!! That's what I always say about celebs that get thin so quick or loose their baby pounds so fast. If we all had personal chef and personal trainer every single day, I'm sure we could do it, too. It's just not realistic.

I like the chopstick idea!! Clever.

And I LOOOVE the shoes. Did you get those?!

Kim Messick said...

I'm lovin' this blog! Thanks for the clarification 'cuz I totally thought that show was "real" but you are sooo right! And those shoes are so cute - I just don't know what or where I would wear those realistically! :)

Jamie Jo said...

That was funny and true. I liked all those fit tips. I've thought about trying to go backwards on the treadmill, but I've been afraid I would injure myself.