Saturday, March 21

Once Upon a Time...and FIT TIP (#11)

24 years ago... **Please, no comments on my "Lion King" hair-do(n't)**
It was evident early on, this little blue-eyed blond, was a fearless go-getter. **Thanks in part, to her two older brothers.**
Faster. Higher. Two of her first words. Words that she would (and does) repeat often.

Doing flips **like her brothers** off the diving-board and ATV-riding as a toddler...bungee-jumping, sky-diving, cliff-jumping **like her brothers** as a teenager...marathon running **like one brother** snow/water-skiing **like her brothers** as an adult. Faster. Higher. She is a goal-setter and goal-achiever. She became a wife, a college graduate, and then a mother. And somewhere along the way...amongst all the "faster" and "higher" moments...she became more than my daughter. She became my great friend (and terrific sidekick).
She is a cheerleader...still. From the sidelines, encouraging those she loves and believes in. Sometimes her support is loud **Yes, she's considered loud, just ask the Jessups** Often it's quiet...in thought and prayer. She feels passionate about many things...but few as deeply as Hawaii. **Right behind the Gospel and her family** After spending a few springbreaks/birthdays in Oahu, she set a goal to attend BYU-Hawaii. She & Cliff returned from a summer semester in paradise just in time to get married and head back to school in Utah...where eventually this little guy joined the picture.

**To see him pay tribute to his mommy on her special day, go here. Happy Birthday, Kendal!!! Have a most wonderful day, and we'll celebrate next week! I love you (and your dudes)!

I only gave birth to one daughter, but I have three. I have my sons to thank for the ones I didn't have to go through labor for :) **And when the 4 of us play Phase 10, please--don't get in the way** I simply adore Rachel (on the left) and Charee (center). They bring such goodness to our family!

Love these girls! And now...

FIT TIP (#11): BREATHE

When trying to lose weight, breathing is an often overlooked ally. Weight loss is a matter of increasing metabolism and making it more efficient. Metabolism requires oxygen. So, proper breathing can help.

Symptoms of stress also show up in your breathing. Anxiety tends to cause shallow breathing, which reduces the brain's oxygen supply and, unfortunately, exacerbates the anxiety. That's why...

Common sense tells us to take a deep breath when we're tense. Deep, slow breathing can truly create a calming, cleansing, and nourishing effect for both body and mind.

Try this: Slowly inhale 6 counts, exhale 7. Then inhale 7, exhale 8. Inhale 8, exhale 9. Inhale 9, exhale 10. S-L-O-W-L-Y. Repeat throughout the day.

3 comments:

The Jessups said...

Awwwwwe thanks, Mom!! Way to bring tears to my eyes!! That was such a moving tribute--thank you!! I did laugh, however, at the phase 10 comment. WHEW. haha. Thanks!!!

Bracken and Bracken said...

I'll keep my thoughts on the hair to myself ;) Happy Birthday Kendal, you have a terrific mom!!

Jamie Jo said...

Happy Birthday to darling Kendal. I remember thinking she was just the cutest thing when she was little. And I think your 80's hair was awesome!